Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Dewey 24 Hour Readathon Live Updates

Hour 24: And that is a wrap!

I made it!  I completed the full 24 hours.  It was a little touch and go at the end there, but I read three books, two of which I completed, for a total of 590 pages read in a 24 hour period.  I am feeling very tired right now, so I'm going to shut everything downwind go to sleep.  Thanks for reading this live blog and be sure to check out all of my other blogs thatI have on here.

Hour 23: It's the final countdown!

Only one hour left in this readathon.  By constantly rocking my chair, I was able to stay awake and get another 30 pages of Biased completed.  I won't be able to finish the book in this hour, but I can definitely finish it later today after I have gotten a good amount of sleep.

Hour 22: Wake up dang it!

I think I fell asleep for a good few minutes at the end of the 22nd hour.  Still, I managed to get another 30 pages of Biased done, but I definitely on't finish the entire book in the less than two hours I have left.  I've got to stay awake.  I'm almost there...

Hour 21: It's getting tougher and tougher

I am having a small problem maintaining focus and alertness as I am entering the last three hours of the readathon, but I managed to read another 36 pages of Biased in this hour.  Things are getting tougher, so I am going to go look for a granola bar, drink some water, walk around a little bit, and then tackle the next hour.

Hour 20: Blueberries and strawberries to the rescue

I made myself a small bowl of blueberries and strawberries to help pep up my energy as I enter the homestretch of the readathon.  It worked for a time, but the effects are starting to wear off pretty quick.  Still, I was able to finish almost 30 more pages of Biased.  Will I be able to finish this book tonight?

Hour 19: Where the rubber meets the road

I got over 30 pages of Biased done in this hour, but my body is tarting to feel tired.  I might need to stretch and get a snack, but I am determined to finish all 24 hours of the readathon.    I can do this, I can do this, I can do this...

Hour 18: A short break

My fiancé needed some love an attention, which I am always happy to give her.  But I was only able to finish 17 more pages of Biased.  Before she went to bed though, my fiancé challenged me to complete all 24 hours of this readathon.  My original plan was to call it quits at midnight, but I can never refuse a dare from my fiancé.  So, I'm now committed to finishing all 24 hours of the readathon.  Mat God have mercy on my soul...

Hour 17: Look who's here!

My reading slowed down a little bit in this hour because my fiancé returned from her time with her family.  I'm so happy that she's here that I only got 17 pages of Biased finished.  In fact, I may be slowing down to a full stop soon. 

Hour 16: Another book bites the dust!

I did it!  I finished reading The Korean War by Bruce Cumings!  I have also just posted my review for it on the blog and on Goodreads.  Check out my blog post for it here.  Now it is on to the next book on my readathon TBR, Biased by Jennifer Eberhardt.

Hour 15: Almost done with another book!

The Korean War by Bruce Cumings is proving to be a much quicker read than I expected.  I am now just 16(!) pages away from finishing this book, which I will do in the next hour.  I'll be sure to post a review for it on my blog and provide a link to it here.  After that, I plan to get some of the book Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think and Do by Jennifer Eberhardt, PhD.  I'm reading this for a discussion on race and bias at my job and I am looking forward to gaining some new insights on the subject.

Hours 13 and 14: The readathon adventure continues...

I took a break during the 13th hour to write my review for Red Mars (link below) and get some dinner.  After refueling, I began reading the second book in my TBR for this readathon, The Korean War by Bruce Cumings.  This is a book that I am reading for another group on Goodreads and were suppose to finish it next week.  It's my hope to finish it tonight and, by the 32 pages I just got finished, I believe I can.

Hour 12: Red Mars is in the bag!

I know I am posting this a little late, but I have just finished reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.  It took me half of the readathon to do it, but it was well worth it.  I gave it four out of five stars and you can read my review by clicking here.  Next up is The Korean War by Bruce Cumings, but I think I will take a short break and make some dinner right now.

Hour 11: Almost there...

I have now completed 95% of Red Mars and I will definitely be able to finish it this hour.  I will be sure to post a separate post on the book on my blog and link it to this live blog when I do.  So close to finished...

Hour 10: Refreshed and ready for the next hour

I was starting to fall asleep in the middle of my book, so I decided to take a 20 minute nap this hour.  I only got 2% more of Red Mars completed, but I am now refreshed and ready for the next hour.  I really think I can finish this book within the next hour or two, so stay tuned for an update on that and my review.

Hour 9: You're getting sleepy...

On the official website for the readathon, it mentioned in this hour to take care of yourself by staying hydrated and even taking naps when necessary.  After eating a healthy lunch, I scoffed at this... until I fell asleep for a hot minute or two there.  Still, I managed to complete another 6%(!) of Red Mars and I am now at 87% completed.  The finish line is within sight, but I think I am going to take a quick cat nap to recharge my batteries in this hour.

Hour 8: Whoops!  Missed an hour.

So, it looks like I forgot to blog the seventh hour.  Just for the sake of time, I'm going to do hours 7 & 8 right now.  I'm now at 81% of Red Mars completed and I can almost taste the end of this book.  I'm starting to get really excited about finishing this book, especially since it is starting to get really interesting.  I also was able to fit in so lunch in this hour.  I was getting peckish in hour 7, eating two Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  But now that I have eaten lunch (Turkey sandwich with a sliced apple, trail mix, and cherry tomatoes), it's onwards to the next hour.

Hour 6:  Sun's out, books out!

The weather out here in SoCal is a cool 75º F, so I decided to get a little sunlight during this hour.  I got another 5% of Red Mars completed, so I am now at 73% finished.  Looking forward to finishing this and other books on my TBR today.

Hour 5: Showered, shaved, and ready for more reading!

My fiancé told me I needed to shower so that I didn't look like a serial killer in my Facebook stories updates, so I got to a good place in Red Mars and did exactly that.  I was still able to finish another 4% of the book though.  What can I do with an unencumbered hour of reading?....

Hour 4: What time is it?

I took a little break to eat some breakfast, but still got 3% more of Red Mars completed.  But I am already starting to lose track of the time.  I'm doing video stories on Facebook and I couldn't even remember what hour I was in.  Am I already begin to crack up?  Got to pull it together.  I am only a sixth of the way through this...

Hour 3 in the bag!

I got another 5% of Red Mars done, putting me at 61% for the entire book.  Things are starting to get really interesting in the efforts to terraform the planet.  I'm starting to feel a little peckish now, so I'm probably going to take a short break to make some breakfast.

Hour 2 Completed

Just finished the second hour of the readathon and things are in full swing.  I finished another 4% of Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.  I am very hopeful that i can finish this book today and maybe even finish The Korean War by Bruce Cumings as well.  Onwards and upwards!

Hour 1 Completed

So, I started things off by reading from the Bible.  My reading was from Colossians 3:12-14: "Put on then, as eGod's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,  bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; gas the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." I also got about 2% of Red Mars completed, putting me at 52% for the book.  On to the next hour!

Starting Hour

So, I am trying something completely new by live blogging my experience with the Fall 24 Hour Readathon from Dewey.  I'm going to to try to make my way through four books, Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, The Korean War by Bruce Cumings, Biased by Jennifer Eberhardt, and An Indigenous People's History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz.  I'll be trying to update every hour or so.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search This Blog