Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Echoes of the Civil Rights Era: A Review of Blues for Mister Charlie

Blues for Mister Charlie: A Play

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently read James Baldwin's first novel, Go Tell It on the Mountain and loved it. So when I learned that Mr. Baldwin had written a play during the middle of the Civil Rights era, I jumped at the chance to dive into this essential American author once again. And while the play is very much a product of its time, echoes of this play's themes can still be heard today.

Loosely based on the murder of Emmett Till, this play follow the aftermath and trial of young black man who was murdered by a white man in an unnamed Southern town. Through flashbacks and a shared stage setting, the audience sees the present and past events woven together as well as the events happening on both sides of this segregated town. I would imagine this play to be a visually striking one, though I don't know if there will be a revitalization of this play on Broadway any time soon.

One aspect of this play that felt a little off was the character Juanita, a young female black student whom almost every character appears to be romantically attracted to, though she has no intimate relations with any of them except for the murdered man. It seemed a little unnecessary and distracted from the main action, but it may be something that has to be seen on stage in order to understand fully.

Overall, this is a fine work of theater that I would like to see staged near me some time in the near future. This may not be high on the list of famous Baldwin works, but I recommend it nonetheless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search This Blog