Saturday, April 24, 2021

April 2021 Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon Live Blog


April 25, 3:05 a.m.
Though there is about two hours left in the readathon, I think I am going to end things here for myself having finished 154 pages of James Weldon Johnson's collected writings from the Library of America.  Looking back on today's readathon for myself, I have to say that, though I did not reach all of my goals, I nonetheless feel like this was one of the more successful readathons that I have done recently.  My wife was able to join me for the last few hours, we enjoyed some great time and snacks together, I finished two books (The City of Brass and Artificial Condition), and I was able to make serious progress on two others.  Thus, I feel as though I am in a good position to finish several books that I have been struggling with in the next week or so.  So, I am signing off from this readathon and I look forward to making another live blog of the next one.

8:45 p.m.
It's been a little while since my last post and the reason why is because not only is today readathon day, but it is also Independent Bookstore Day.  So, my wife and I made a little trek to our beloved local indie bookstore, Cellar Door Books, to browse a little and pick up a few books.  At the same time, I started reading the next book that I'll be discussing with my History Book Club at the beginning of May, Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe.  I decided only to complete the first ~150 pages of this book and save the rest for next week so that I can focus on making progress on a couple of other books I am in the middle of reading.  Up next, I am going to try to make progress on a collection of James Weldon Johnson's writings from the Library of America.


2:22 p.m.
And another book is in the bag.  For the first time though, I've completed an audiobook for a readthon.  In this case, it was the novella Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries #2) by Martha Wells.  I did it so I could get some exercise in while continuing on this journey.  I really enjoy the action and humor in this and the first book, but the naturally quick pace of a novella means that I inevitably miss some key plot points, which I did here.  Overall, a good sequel.  Now it is on to starting Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe.


10:47 a.m.
I just finished my first book of the readathon, The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty.  I read the second half of this book starting this morning, but it was an ebook, so I am not 100% sure hominy pages that is.  This was an absolutely exciting read and I look forward to reflecting on this book in the review I will post to this blog later.  In the meantime, I have to do some exercise, so for the first time I will be using an audiobook to continue the readathon.  As I work out, I'll be listening to Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries #2) by Martha Wells and narrated by Kevin R. Free.

April 24, 5:00 a.m.
It's the start of another 24-Hour Readathon today and I have a lot of reading that I hope to accomplish today.  For today, I will posting throughout the day primarily here, on my Goodreads account, and elsewhere.  I'll try to do hour updates to here, but that I  plan to do more reading than writing, so I'll really be updating this page throughout the day whenever I can.  I'm going to start with the by trying to finish the book The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty and I hope you enjoy reading this live blog today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search This Blog